[Pogamut-list] 3.3.0 Upgrade Issues

jacob.schrum pogamut-forum at diana.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Aug 8 17:14:59 CEST 2012

Re: 3.3.0 Upgrade Issues

Author: jacob.schrum

Thanks for all the help. Let me go ahead and describe the situation in which my problem came up.

In the previous version of Pogamut I was using isReachable to decide whether items where worth going to. When this method was removed, I simply switched it to isVisible. This isn't as good, because the bot can sometimes be right next to an object it wants, but looking in the wrong direction, and therefore miss it. So, I then replaced isVisible with a proximity check ... which is fine unless the object is right above the bot's head through a ceiling, but that can also be checked by looking at the z coordinates.

This seemed to work ok, but then I found an example that broke this, and I think it would break Michal's proposed approach too: On Curse4 there is a UDamage that is hidden behind a door that can only be opened by shooting it. Whenever the bot got near the door, it would slam into the wall repeatedly because the item was close enough, and on the same level. I suppose before that the isReachable method realized that the door prevented the bot from reaching the item.

This may be an extreme special case, but isReachable seemed like a general solution. I don't know how many other cases like this one exist, but I don't currently know of any. So, I'll rely on heuristic methods and treat this as a special case for now.

--
Reply Link: <http://diana.ms.mff.cuni.cz/main/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=4&comments_reply_threadId=4&comments_parentId=956&post_reply=1#form>