[Pogamut-list] understanding geometry, visible/hidden navpoint filtering

jakub.gemrot pogamut-forum at artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Jul 1 13:03:05 CEST 2009

Re: understanding geometry, visible/hidden navpoint filtering

Author: jakub.gemrot

Hi Jeremy,

yes, you have just pinpointed out two the most troublemaking problems in Pogamut / UT2004

1) why the hell the Bot does not have an access to the Geometry of the level?

In general the bot should have an access to the geometry of the level because it is blind otherwise. Unfortunately you would have to parse some ut file... which is possible! In fact we have some guy who is working on that issue, I could provide you with an email address if you want to pursue this path (which is probably the best one).

Using raycasting is possible, but it won't give you complete information about the environment as the geometry would. And finally answer to your question. Is there some code to distinguish walls from hills? No there is not. But the raycasting (except from hit/no hit) will also give you a vector that is perpendicular to the plane of the triangle it hit. You may start from there.

2) what about the navpoint visibility matrix?

First, what is visibility matrix? It's boolean matrix where (I,J) is true if bot standing at navpoint I can see navpoint J. If you have such matrix, you can obtain some intristing informations from the information "what navpoint you're standing at", "what navpoint is your enemy standing at" just by applying and/ors on rows from visibility matrix. But we did not implemented that yet but it should not be hard!

I'm at work, so I have to go for now...

Cheers!

Jakub