[Pogamut-list] understanding geometry, visible/hidden navpoint filtering

cazub pogamut-forum at artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Aug 5 23:21:16 CEST 2009

Re: understanding geometry, visible/hidden navpoint filtering

Author: cazub

Hey guys , i always had trouble with the isVisible functions,  I had that heatmap + visibility map thing i created. Visibility map is closer to jcothran's idea. I created it with brute force by respawning a specialized bot to every navpoint then exiting and serializing the visibilities to a file. The only problem was the visibility values were always wrong. Come to think of it i made an entirley new map object to use if anybody wants it. Basically just stored each navpoints 3d location, visibility (how many nodes could see this node) , visible nodes (what nodes it could see from this node) , Kill and Frag value (for heat maps) , and finally an interestValue.

The interest value was based on my activation function. So for a camping bot i'd want to weight visibility as the main attribute and look for the lowest visibility, highest kill value and lowest frag value. Something like  intrestValue = ((2.0)*Visibility) + KillsAtThisPoint - FragsAtThisPoint.

Creating that visibility matrix with raycasting would be great but i never had time to do it. Just used the non working isVisible(). But if anybody wants help making one of those data structures or needs to know how to use them i can help probably.