[Pogamut-list] mapping bot

cazub pogamut-forum at artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Sep 9 00:14:26 CEST 2008

mapping bot
Hi guys, i'm writing up some bots for a term project. What i needed was a Visibility map and rather than hand code one i made a "visibility-Bot" that goes to EVERY single point in a map, checks whether or not that navpoint is visable from all the other navpoints, then saves that to a file. This is not meant to be a bot that competes or fights, its just meant to be run, create the file, and then other bots use that file when they compete. I've got a couple problems and some questions:

Problems:
1) Can't get to all the navPoints - i have my bot try 50 times to get to a point, then gives up and records an infinately high visibility for that navpoint.
    Q: Can i some how just respawn my bot at each location rather than try to travel to them?

2)The visibility functions in Pogamut2 are confusing me. I end up using memory.getSeeNavPoint(UID), and cycle through all the UID's. The values i get don't tell me if the point is actually visable in a straight line from my location. Its as if a point is visible if i can bend light around the map using an A* path. the function .isVisible() also doesn't seem to help me.
     Q: should i be using ray traces instead of visibility functions? Is there an easier way to do this?

3) I can't get the current Map name out of my bot.
     Q: How do i do this? is there a field in  the this.gameMap  variable??

if anyone can help let me know!
PS: I think somebody did a really stripped down Gamebots for UT3 now.

----

Reply Link: <https://artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz/pogamut/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=6&comments_parentId=222#form>