[Pogamut-list] Cannot add native bots to Gamebots server?

brotherquintus pogamut-forum at diana.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Sun Jan 9 08:46:13 CET 2011

Re: Cannot add native bots to Gamebots server?

Author: brotherquintus

> Do you have 32Bit Java?
Yes

>For what purpose do you need native bots?
I am using them to compare my bot against them.

>And how important for you is to fix this issue (does it limit the usefulness of Pogamut for you)?
It's for my Bachelor-Thesis so it is quite important for me yea.

> At first glance it seems there is a bug in GameBots2004 (pogamut unreal part, so reinstalling netbeans plugin won't help)
Even reinstalling UT2004 and the entire Pogamut Platform didn't help.

But after a lot of experimentation I found the following workaround:

If I follow the following procedure every time I open a server it works fine:
1. Close any running instances of UCC, UT2004 and Netbeans.
2. Start a Gamebots server
3. Start Netbeans
4. Connect a native bot
5. Connect Pogamut bot and start spectating

It seems that if I start Netbeans before the Gamebots server, that it won't work. But I will have to test this more before making any assumptions. I will look at this in more detail in a week or so.

What might also be interesting (although of no urgency to me) is that for all bots (even the example bots so I can rule out my code) no messages are written to the User log (user.info). There is only the message "Warning: Log is set to ALL" or something, but otherwise it's empty.

I have thought that maybe compiling Gamebots from source might help (if there are changes from the version downloaded by the pogamut web installer), but again I have to try this in a week or so.

For now I am happy that it works ;)

best,
Gordon

--