[Pogamut-list] sqlitebot

jcothran pogamut-forum at artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Sat May 30 14:48:52 CEST 2009

Re: Re: sqlitebot

Author: jcothran

> I'm not aware of anyone using SQL based database engine for storing this kind of information. We usually use Java collections for this, what will you gain by using RDB engine?
> I think that it would be interesting to use some RDF based representation (see http://www.openrdf.org/) for relation between objects, actors, places etc. I don't know whether someone has done this in context of bots AI.

What are the Pogamut bot based project names/links that use Java collections?  Do Java collections live in memory-only for single simulation runs or how is developed memory stored/persisted/shared between runs and programs/bots?

Leveraging the advantages of persistence of locational/situational memory from individual and group bot experience is the goal that I'm seeking.  Glad to learn from any Pogamut bot example references that utilize/share persistence of memory between runs and bots whether RDB/SQL based or otherwise.

Read the following interview with Steve Polge a while back which states the UT3 bots understand 'killing zones' but from experimentation within the game never found the below statement to be true.  UT bots by game default have never had a memory persistence mechanism beyond what is baked-in to the game and maps(navpoints).  If they did it would be an interesting way for players/developers to share/modify/adapt bot experience and behaviors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/jan/30/unrealtournament3interview
''How about emergent behaviours? In what ways do your bots learn? One of the ways that UT3 bots learn during gameplay include dynamically adjusting the costs of the path network to reflect things like "killing zones". This allows them to learn areas to avoid because they are covered by a sniper, for example.''

Thanks
Jeremy